Shortly after yesterday’s post about password help and white hat hacking, I go to sleep only to wake up and realize that I had left a certain computer with a password I cannot remember. I quickly remembered my friends who were criticizing the post about Password HACKing. I pulled out my Hiren’s Boot CD and started doing the Magic as my students call it.
Hiren’s Boot CD is a bootable software kit in the form of an ISO disk image that provides you diagnostic, repair and recovery tools to fix all the issues related to Windows operating system. This versatile tool is able to detect potential threats such as Trojans, worms or spyware, back up data on local disks and also recover lost Windows password.
After acquiring the Software make a bootable flash using rufus (Tutorial coming soon) or burn disk image
Boot computer from disk (Created disk or bootable flash)
When the computer has started from the CD (Created disk or bootable flash), you can see several options here, take password recovery for an example, select Offline NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 Password Changer and hit Enter – This is the first screen you see
- Now you’ll see the Linux kernel boot options, press Enter to go on
- Select the partition where Windows 7 is located, press Enter
- Now it needs to know the exact location of the Windows registry, just press Enter to accept the default Windows Registry path
- You need to choose a part to load the registry, choose the default choice “Password reset [sam system security]”, and then select “Edit user data and passwords”.
- Choose the user name and enter into the next screen, type “1” for “Clear user password” and press Enter
- Type “!” to quit editing user and then press Enter and then Type “q” and press Enter to quit the chntpw tool
- Enter “y” for yes and press Enter to finish the process.
- Now remove the Hiren’s Boot CD and
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot your computer without password.