Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) in partnership with Uganda Institute of Information and Communications Technology (UICT) has today launched an Online Digital literacy training of instructors (change agents) across the country. Over the years, UCC has conducted a number of training workshops for different groups of people, including teachers, SME business entrepreneurs, and natives from communities across the country.
This time, in the wake of the new normal brought about by COVID19, UCC has organized an online training for selected trainees across the country.
The launch of the training was an online event hosted on Zoom and YouTube and was graced by a number of panelists, including Mrs. Irene Kaggwa Sewankambo, the Ag. Executive Director – UCC, Mr. Fredrick E. Kitoogo – Principal UICT, Mr. Julius Torach – Commissioner for IT at Ministry of ICT, Mr. Patrick Muinda – Assistant Commissioner for Information Management at Ministry of Education.
This training is part of UICT/UCC objectives of implementing; The National ICT Policy 2014, The National Development Plan III, The National Vision 2040, etc. it’s aimed at providing Ugandans, with skills that harness ICT-enabled opportunities for prosperity. UCC will provide data/connectivity and zero rate specific sites for the trainees to access without need to purchase data bundles.
Missed the launch? Below is a link to the full livestream of the event.
More about the training
Objectives of the Course
- To enhance participants with online digital literacy skills in usage of productivity programs
- To provide participants with, International Computer Driving License (ICDL) International standard curriculum in digital skills certification.
Participants will benefit through:
- Getting access to the right skills, when they are needed (prepare for future employment)
- Providing an opportunity for everyone (Globally 90 percent of jobs anticipated to be digital by 2020)
- Using online platforms to help as many people they we can in time of need – Covid 19 (learn approach to reaching the widest range of people, with the biggest impact)
- Getting international recognized ICDL certification.
Expected Impact of Digital Literacy Course
- Improved ICT proficiency at three levels of; ICT skills, Pedagogical skills, and curriculum training
- Growth of Digital economy
- Computer essential
- Online essentials
- Using databases
- Project planning
- IT Security
- Online collaboration
- Health information system usage
- Social media
- Cyber safety
- Online search
- Advanced word processing
- Advanced spreadsheets
- Advanced databases
- Advance presentation
Below is a video of the introductory zoom session in which details of the ICDL modules were discussed.
- Teachers/ICT officers selected across the country
- Equipped with smart phones or computer
- Basic ICT Skills
- Internet connectivity
When things go wrong
- Will provide training links where participants can download content and access off line
- Students encounter technical difficulties – will provide personal attention
- When the participants don’t know what is going on – communication campaign
- When participants don’t have time for online training – set a time limit and send a reminders
- Participants need to talk to people – Personal attention, forums and social media
- Failure to practice – use useful and practical courses that have simulators
- The impact of the course to your organisation – align with your organisation’s objectives
Role of participants
- Ask for permission for attending the online digital literacy course to the respective institutional
- Maintain order, discipline, and be helpful
- Complete the assigned work on time
- Participate in the activities organised on the platforms
Role of facilitators
- Organisation, delivery course structure, module sequence, timelines
- Focus on individual, assessments and accreditation
Contacts for Coordination and Registration
- Uganda Institute of Information and Communications Technology
- P.O Box 7187, Kampala
- +256 312165100
- +256 312165115
- +256 772471151 / 0702471151 (whatsapp)
- Email: [email protected]
- Registration Link: Register here.